Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Journal #1

  • The situation that made me respond in writing was that I couldn't be open with my boyfriend in person without us getting into an argument, so i realized that I should write him a long letter explaining how I felt and and answer all the questions he had been asking me for the longest time.
  • the reason I decided to write the letter was because my boyfriend would just turn the conversation into an argument and never listen to what I had to say. He would push all his thoughts and feelings out and then leave me speechless since I forgot what I was going to say or I never got a chance to say anything.
  • The genre chosen was criticism and persuasive. I chose criticism because I wanted to tell him of the things he could work on in his personality and habits. The criticism wasn't meant to hurt him but more to help him. I also chose persuasive to convince him that I really did care for him and that he was an important part of my life.
  • My audience was to my peer and wanted to establish a truthful and trustworthy relationship with my audience.
  • My purpose was to inform, educate, call action to, and persuade. I think that I portrayed my purpose very well and it came across very clear to my audience.
  • The context I used was the time period we were in location, and my cultural significance. The culture that was used my family background and the way I thought about certain situations and how I expected them to occur.
  • In a rhetorical situation I have the opportunity to rethink what I wrote and how it was written. while in other writings I just write as I think without really analyzing the occurrence.

1 comment:

dr.mason said...

Choosing to write something because your "boyfriend would just turn the conversation into an argument and never listen to what I had to say" brings up an interesting point. In talking to someone there's a distinction between physically hearing the words coming out of someone's mouth and actually listening to that person.

Is there a similar distinction with written text? Can you read what someone wrote without paying attention to it? Or does writing, as your story suggests, force someone to "listen"?